Sunday, May 20, 2012

WHO WOULDN'T WANT THEIR HANDS ON SOME DOUBLE D'S?


This is the elusive Double D's BBQ trailer in it's natural environment. I had been stalking the trailer for about a month up and down the reaches of South Eastern Avenue in Oklahoma City after hearing a report about it.

I had found many signs about the trailers grand opening located near the Diamond Ballroom and had been told by my BBQ scouts that they had seen it parked there but after multiple attempts to catch it ending in failure. I was about ready to give up.

Then I found some cryptic writings about this elusive trailers whereabouts on Facebook and I began staking out that location but still with no luck.


Then one night as I'm making a mad dash across town for an appointment. I spot the trailer parked in front of Bootlegger Liquor. I'm already late and I'm unable to stop so once again this trailer escapes me but now I know it's routine. I know where it likes to sit and when.

After weeks of going out of my way I was finally able to get my hands on this sack of food loaded with BBQ.

As I'm making my way back to the OKBBQEA Test Kitchens to sample the contents. I'm wondering if they keep these sacks in the smoker mounted on the back of their trailer because the wonderful smell of smoke has my saliva glands working overtime.

As usual I had chosen the largest dinner they offered which is a 3 meat with 2 sides and a drink for $12. I chose chopped beef, pulled pork, polish sausage, with beans and potato salad.

They fit all the meats in a small to go container. My first thought upon seeing the container was that I didn't get everything I ordered but these guys pack a lot of meat in that little container. The portions were more than adequate for the price.

The chopped beef was my favorite of the three meats I chose. It had good flavor, texture, and smokiness. I tasted one bite with their sauce and it complemented the meat well but was by no means necessary unless you just like to cover up the flavor of good meat with sauce. I know some people do. I don't understand it but they do.

The pulled pork was more like shredded pork than what I would consider pulled. It had good color and flavor but the texture was off. Some bites were more like pork jerky.

In Double D's defense I think I caught them at the end of their supply because I drove back by where they were parked shortly after finishing eating and they were already gone. I'm assuming they vend until they run out of meat. So I'm not going to pass total judgment on the pork until I can try it again.

Unfortunately I can't say much good about the polish sausage. At one time it may have been a fine link of sausage but by the time it got to me it was WAY over-smoked and about the consistency of a Slim Jim.

The beans appeared to be made from scratch using pinto and kidney beans. They had a really good flavor and I found pieces of onion, jalapeno, meat, and bacon in them. I'm not a big fan of this kind of beans but these were impressive. I prefer a sweeter style of baked beans personally but if you like them this way then I think you are going to really enjoy the beans from Double D's.

The potato salad I don't think was made from scratch. If I had to take a guess I'd say they were Reser's.

Double D's was sort of hit or miss for me and they can be hard to catch but I'll be giving them another try. They've only been vending a short time and there may still be a few kinks to work out.

I'm not sure what time they start vending but the times I have seen them in front of the Bootlegger Liquor across the street from Crest Foods in Moore was between 5:00 PM and 6:30 PM on a Tuesday and a Wednesday and I have never seen them there on a weekend. My best guess would be between noon and  6 PM Monday through Friday but as with any trailer you take a chance on them actually being there or not. Most trailers pack up and go home when they run out of food and Double D's appears to run out around 6 PM


Double D's BBQ on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

All you need to know about barbecue