Monday, July 14, 2014

SHOP TIL YOU DROP AT BOB'S PIG SHOP

I had been trying to get into Bob's Pig Shop for about 8 months.

On my first attempt in November of 2013. We arrived about an hour before closing time and they were out of Q. So we settled for tamales..... I know.... I know.... Apparently Mexican food is supposed to be their other specialty.... I might argue otherwise but I'm here to talk about Q.

Every other time we tried to get in they were closed. So when the opportunity to pass through Pauls Valley right around lunch time on a Saturday presented itself. I jumped at it!

This attempt wasn't the 3rd time I had tried but it turned out to be a charm. We pulled up about 1:30 PM and the parking lot was full of cars. I screeched into a parking space and ran inside before they could run out of Q on me again.

The interior of Bob's tells the story of how many years they have been in business. Newspapers adorn the walls with headlines of significant points in history along with other memorobilia of days gone by and the regulars fill the seats at the front counter.

You get to choose from a full or half order of ribs, pork loin, or brisket at Bob's or you can get the Combination Plate if you want to try all three.
Coleslaw and toast come with the combination dinner and then you can choose pinto or baked beans and fries or potato salad.
I can't say I was a fan of the pork loin at Bob's  but then again I'm not a fan of pork loin. It's a difficult piece of meat to cook without it being dry. This was dry but fortunately it went well with the beans.
The menu says that Bob's cooks their briskets whole and then removes all the fat after cooking. And when they say all the fat.... They aren't kidding! There wasn't a gram of fat to be found on this Okie Brisket and fortunately, despite it's appearance, it has a good flavor and moisture.
The rib was just slightly overcooked but not falling apart. The rub used on it tasted mostly of salt and pepper and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I'm not sure of the beans were homemade or not but if they came from a can they had been modified and were tasty. The potato salad and cole slaw both appeared to be house made and were delicious.

I didn't get a close up picture of the toast and at first I thought it was two-sided but after further inspection I decided to call it 1 1/2 sided toast. It was well toasted on one side but mostly just butter soaked on the other with a little browning.

Bob's Pig Shop is one of those Q-raunts that has been around long enough to be considered an institution to Oklahoma BBQ. So while I personally wouldn't qualify their Q as outstanding. It's definitely worth making the stop in Paul's Valley to eat at if you're in the area.

Bob's Pig Shop on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

All you need to know about barbecue